Ugly. Hateful. Coarse. Cynical. Disgusting. Hideous. Unoriginal. Grotesque. Hypocrisy. Failure.
Every book you have ever read was made up of different combinations of the same 26 letters. Thousands and thousands of words made up of the same twenty-six little letters. It doesn’t seem like much, does it? Twenty-six little letters strung into words and braided into sentences then woven into conversations and speeches that have changed the world. These tapestries grace the halls of history and alter the paths of travelers through life.

Think of the phrase “I have a dream.” Eleven letters, four little words that helped change the course of American History. Martin Luther King Jr. successfully changed the way our country was run simply by using words. Though the fight for equal rights is still being fought today, how much longer would it have taken for the fight to have even begun if he hadn’t took a stand 61 years ago? What would we be learning about in History class if “I have a Dream” had never been said?
It has been said that the words that come out of our mouth are the most powerful things to ever be on this earth. They have the power to build people up, but at the same time they can tear people apart. Bruises fade, but words will haunt memories forever.
Once upon a time there was a girl, named Annalise, who loved to dance more than anything else. She loved the way she felt spinning across the floor and the sensation of flying when she would perfectly execute a leap. She loved the way the music would flow through her and how she felt as though she was part of the music instead of just a bystander. Every day for six years she would slide on the soft leather ballet slippers and let herself get carried away.
Then the inevitable happened. She had to change dance schools. Nervously she showed up for classes her first day and discovered that her new coach was, as she put it, likely the teenage daughter of the devil.
The first few classes went as smoothly as possible, but then things took a turn for the worst. Her coach began yelling at her for “sloppy posture” and “not pointing her toes enough.” Instead of getting offended, however, Annalise only worked harder to improve. After a few weeks there was nothing left for her coach to find fault in so she turned on the girl herself. Things like “Keep her in the back so no one sees how pale she is,” and “Honey, you will never be a professional dancer. You’re too fat,” were flung around the dance studio. At first the she tried to ignore them but after months and months of being told everything about her was wrong she started to believe the words. When the end of the dance season rolled around she told her mom she was tired of ballet and didn’t want to dance anymore. She never told the real reason she quit dancing, not even to her parents.
It has now been six years since Annalise last danced. Six years since she has heard those cruel words thrown her way. Yet, whenever she goes shopping for clothes, wears shorts, or goes swimming with her friends, she can hear the harsh words of her dance coach echoing in her mind.

An unknown author said: “There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the second, but you can be certain of getting the first.”
When there is already so much heartache in our world today, why do we find it necessary to use our words to cause more pain?
Louis Nizer said: “Words of comfort, skillfully administered, are the oldest therapy known to man.”
We have all been there. I know we have. We have all been in a situation where absolutely nothing is going right. When everything is falling through, and the minutes seem to drag, when someone comes along and says exactly the right thing at the right time and your whole outlook on things turns around. A famous quote from Buddha says: “Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.” and it seems this particular person knows just what to say to bring peace.
One sincere word instead of thousands of empty meaningless words can change someone’s life. We can all be the person who has the right words to say.
I have always considered myself to have a good life. I’ve had a good home, caring parents, a soft bed, and all the food I could possibly want. I’ve also had words. Ever since I was little I have loved words. Big words, small words, fancy words, simple words, beautiful words, and most of all the right words. I don’t talk much because I don’t like the thought of wasting my words. As if somewhere among the jumble of pictures and thoughts in my brain is an hourglass of sorts that holds all the words I will ever speak. Because of this mind set I used to think that I would always know what to say and when to say it, because up to a point it had worked. But then, on October 25, 2014, tragedy struck, and with the blindsiding blow I watched as my hourglass of words fell from the pedestal I had put it on and shatter on the floor. My words were gone. My grief was silent because the words I had so carefully tended to were now scattered and broken. I couldn’t even think of a way to tell those close to me what had happened. Along with the grief was an onset of panic as I time after time tried to repair my words but nothing would work. The biggest speaking contest of my life was in exactly four days and my words were not functioning. Then the night before I left for Kentucky a close friend came to me and with a hug she offered me two little words that helped to repair the fractured glass of my hourglass of words. “I’m here.” Those two little words helped change my life.

We never know what is going on in the lives of others. Choose your words carefully. Remember those words from the beginning of my speech? They are considered the ugliest words in the English language. Instead of those hideous words next time consider using words like: beauty, grace, peace, happiness, caring, kindness, hope, love.
No comments:
Post a Comment